A friend told me the story of how she had always wished to be a millionaire by the time that she was 40. Not long after her 40th birthday she realised that with the value of her home and business she actually was a millionaire. She said to me, ‘I just didn’t imagine that once I was a millionaire that I would still have to work so hard!’
This was an enlightening conversation, because I realised that it was important to decide how we want to spend our time and not how much money we have in the bank. My definition of success went through a paradigm shift. Now, even though I don’t have a lot of money I believe that my family and I are living the millionaire lifestyle.
*Disclaimer* There is no caviar in my definition of millionaire lifestyle. These tips are more about how you spend your time rather than how you spend your money.
How can you live the millionaire lifestyle without being a millionaire?
- Decide what is important to you. What makes you happy? How do you like to spend your time? Answer these questions as though anything is possible. Once you have your answers start with small steps to increase the time you spend in those pursuits. Before you know it you will be living the dream.
- Take annual leave. At the start of each year plan at least 3 or 4 short breaks. When are the long weekends? Add an extra day to a long weekend and that is a four day break. Decide where you would like to go and then invite friends to come with you.
- Make time for the people you love. Turn the television off and eat dinner together at the table. Throw a loaf of bread, some cheese, tomatoes and water in an esky and hop in the car. Who knows where you will end up. Once you get there go for a walk and then have cheese and tomato sandwiches. You don’t need a lot to make it happen. If you have kids they will remember those moments forever.
- Watch what you spend your money on. Reduce waste as much as possible and spend your money on things that add value to your life.
- Have parties, invite people over for dinner, laugh, go camping with friends, eat good food. All of these things can be done without spending a lot of money but will greatly increase your enjoyment and happiness.
- Spend time outdoors. If the sun is shining, read a book in the sun. Potter around the garden. Eat dinner outside with your family. All things that increase your sense of relaxation.
- Exercise, be active, go for walks, do yoga, meditate (or your variation – for my partner his yoga and meditation is mountain bike riding) and then once you have worn yourself out sleep well.
- Listen to your instinct. If you realise that you are grumpy all the time, or snapping at your kids, there may be a reason for it. It may be something within you calling out for change. Give yourself a bit of quiet and tune in to your inner voice. It will tell you what you need to do.
If you do all of these things these things then you will be living the best life you can which is probably even better than a millionaire lifestyle.
I am constantly updating this website and adding new information. To keep in touch sign up to my newsletter here or hop on our facebook page and follow our adventures.